Monday, November 3, 2008

“Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms” - George Elliot


I guess I have always known what goes on behind-the-scenes in slaughter houses, as animals are continually treated inhumanely for meats and their hides, but that knowing has never really translated into my actions. After reading the script for Earthlings, I find myself at odds with where to move next.

I am a fervent believer in the idea that animals can feel. Whether it be “fear, loneliness, [or] pain”[1]. Ask anyone who knows my family, and they will tell you that our animals are just as much a part of my home community than either of my sisters. I look forward to the time that I get to spend with my two dogs, Lucy and Addie, and have never felt more comforted than the times that I have spent with them. In 7th grade, we got Addie. She is a Red Heeler/Beagle mix, and was the first pet I was given the responsibility to take care of. I remember a lesson that I learned through obedience training with her, the trainer told the attendees that dogs will always be able to tell your true emotions, and though one may be able to hide or act like they are feeling another way, “man’s best friend” will always know the truth. I take that into consideration any time that I have felt sad, or depressed, or happy even, and how I am greeted by my dogs. In addition, there is no better feeling than having those feelings reciprocated from a species who does not necessarily understand emotions, but acts on intuition. One of my favorite things is to go home and be emphatically greeted by Lucy, a Redbone Coonhound/Weimaraner mix, pouncing on my shoulders knocking me to the ground.

I often joke around and say that I love my dogs just as much, if not more than other humans, and I think this is derived from their endless desire to please. Dogs, and animals alike, are not able to communicate the ways they think, and are not necessarily as intelligent as humans, but demonstrate the simplistic values of experiencing life.

Now comes the hard part: how to approach the controversial subject of animal cruelty, and what that means in reference to dietary concern. The film Earthlings I am sure will be very upsetting to watch, but does not necessarily mean it will greatly alter my way of thinking. Yes, animal cruelty is completely wrong, however I still question the validity of the argument presented. There are places in the world that are largely oblivious to these happenings, and I would say that they should definitely look into slaughterhouses and animal shelters to reevaluate their criteria for the treatment of animals. In Austin, I feel we have a very levelheaded outlook. For the most part, people tend to veer towards places like Central Market, Whole Foods, Sun Harvest, and the like for purchasing their meats, where special consideration is taken into account regarding how the animals are handled throughout the process of getting meat.

One of the main problems that I had with the script was the argument about how “if we had to kill our own meat, we would all be vegetarian”[2]. If we all were forced to amputate our own legs, would there be no doctors, and everyone would then die? If we all had to manufacture auto parts, would there be no cars? We are fortunate to have people who would do this dirty job, and feed billions of people world wide. The truth of the matter is that there are many overpopulated species around the world, who do not deserve to be treated badly, but can be used for the greater good. That does not mean they are any less deserving of praise, or even less of a being.

I guess what I am trying to say is that yes, I will take a stand against cruelty to animals, but there is a definite humane way to treat other species than our own, and we can therefore move forward with this argument. It all comes back to the same idea: no one can make a claim for anyone else. I can only assume tomorrow we will debate about what is right: carnivorous diet vs. vegan, but who cares? If a person feels so strongly that they chose not to eat or purchase any animal product, then let them so chose. If we say that “there are differences, since humans and animals are not the same in all respects”[3], can that not be extrapolated into the differences within humans?


[1] 725

[2] 707

[3] 702

No comments: